Thursday, October 18, 2007

International GI Joes. United Kingdom Bad Guys. Red Laser.

International GI Joes.
United Kingdom Bad Guys.
Chapter 1.

Does any one care about International Joes? Probably not. But because I need something constructive to do, you're about to start reading about them. My favorite passion in collecting is of course GI Joe, Nothing really captured the imagination like GI Joe for me growing up in the city of Boston, I'm sure that goes for any kid that grew up in the 80's at all. GI Joe was it. The vehicles, the bad terrorist, The Ninja's, and the true American heroes who won the day in the end in every battle. Yet GI Joe wasn't only available to us American kids. All over the world he was re colored, re named, re tooled and produced for the masses. One of my latest GI Joe collection obsessions has been International Joes. Usually very high priced to acquire, and usually having to hunt over seas these figures are HARD to come by Mint let alone complete. Yet doing the collectible business that I've dealt with I've made some decent sources.


I will start my display with the first International figure I bought. A few years back, I discovered Action Force, the name given to GI Joe to the boys and girls that grew up in Europe in the 80's. Now my favorite and first figure ever purchased was Cobra Commander. See description below for a post I did for the first Joe figure I ever got on YOJOE.com

(1-17-06 Reply to post – What was your first Joe - I know this may be like the same story told above, just different Kids, and a thousand miles away, but Me and my brother back in 83 went to the local Mall with my Uncle. We were going to get a Star Wars figure each, when we walked in we didn't even make it to the toy Isle as we looked at the front of the store and there was a massive display of Carded Joes lining the wall. I at once Grabbed Cobra Commander. The enemy leader. I loved that figure and to this day, he is my favorite Joe! My brother snagged Grunt.) That being said when I was first viewing the Action Force line put out by a toy company named palitoy, I first glimpsed a Red Cobra Commander and froze, I always loved the red troops of Cobra Command, The HISS Pilot, The Rattler Pilot, The Crimson Guard, So When I found the Red Cobra Commander I flipped and knew I needed one to lead my Crimson Guard. Seeing how I hated the Evil twins and never used them ever in My 'Joe Verse'. When I later found out it wasn't cobra commander yet a man named Red Laser who wasn't even part of Cobra yet part of an Evil force under the command of the baron (the first enemy that the UK version of GI Joe fought).

In Europe this figure had two versions one with the Skull and cross bone insignia on the head and one with out. The with the Skull and crossbones was not sold to many old Nazi owned countries do to the skull and crossbones insignia being outlawed because it's symbolism with the SS. Luckily I met a kid in England (where the symbol is not outlawed) and picked mine up. He was packaged with a Red version of the HAL which I do not have, but the figure quickly became, once in my hand, the leader of My Crimson Guard forces of Cobra. So with out further adieu, below are the front and back versions of Hasbro's Cobra Commander 1982 and the Palitoy Release of Red Laser 1983 in the UK. Enjoy. Also Added is a Photo of the red HAL or Laser Exterminator and a Comic that was done of red Laser. Also below is his Bio.

After doing research I found these Bio's on Each figure. Very different from their American Twins.

Biography Name Unknown Code Name Red Laser
Serial Number - None
Born - Unknown
Primary Military speciality - Laser Dynamics
Secondary Military Speciality - Artillery

Ex-member of Japanese Terrorist Group with high level of technical experience. Formerly a student of Laser Technology at Tokyo University, was corrupted by dreams of power shown to him by Baron Ironblood. Has developed Laser Exterminator into most deadly weapon in Enemy Armoury. "Red Laser is totally corrupt, and brainwashed by Baron Ironblood to accept the slightest command from him."


No comments: